Thursday, July 21, 2011

From the Land of Concerts, Carmel and Camping!

SOMETHING MUSICAL:

I realized after attending a friend's piano concert that I haven't even touched a piano in months. Since I moved from the Hancock home at the end of December, I haven't had ready access to one except at church. And I just haven't made time for it. I immediately went home and listened to almost my entire collection of piano songs on iTunes. Not shortly after, I found myself at Alex's home in Fremont where his parents have a piano! It felt so good just to sit down and play like I use to do. However, there was definitely much frustration as my hands just wouldn't move like they use to and my mind just couldn't remember those chord progressions anymore. It's an awful feeling. Hence, goal #1 for July is: find a piano. use it. learn a new song. maybe buy a used keyboard off of craigslist. I'll let you know how it goes.

SOMEWHERE LOVELY:

One and a half hours south of Palo Alto is a lovely little town nestled in a cove of beaches, quaint shops and beautiful homes. I've been to Carmel before, but this time was so lovely and the perfect weekend escape (mostly because I was with good company). We had a marvelous time playing games, eating good food and playing in the sand. I've never lived in a place where the beach is so close! I guess it's just another part of turning more and more Californian...:) I don't mind one bit and I hope to be back there soon!

SOMETHING OUTDOORSY:

Besides not playing the piano for quite some time, it's also been a ridiculous amount of time since I went camping. The young adults in my church saved the day by having a camping trip down in Portola Redwoods area. So gorgeous! Northern California keeps getting better and better. Just getting there was splendid. We drove this windy, tree-lined road along hill tops with beautiful vistas down into the State Park. Alex was in charge of the food and when I got there, he already had a gourmet tin foil dinner for me - hot and ready to eat! A friend of mine and I went on an adventure in the dark with our headlamps and I can't remember the last time I did something like that. It was so good for my soul. You just can't beat campfires, smoke in your face, the smell of pine, staying up all night talking in your tent and feeling grungy in the morning from sleeping on the hard ground for approximately 3 hours because the sun rose at 5am...:) My kind of paradise.

No comments: