Monday, June 6, 2011

From the land of Christmas presents and celebrations

SOMETHING LIKE CHRISTMAS:

So way back in December, Alex bought me plane tickets to New York. I thought this very ambitious of him, as the tickets were for May (5 months away). I remember thinking to myself, I sure hope we are still dating in May so I can cash in on my present....:) Well, I'm happy to announce that I did indeed get my Christmas gift! It could not have been planned more perfect. Come May, I really needed a break and change of scenery, so the escape back east was a welcome respite. Alex had actually been down in SoCal for work the previous two weeks, so this really was more of a treat for me I think. He hadn't even finished unpacking and had to turn around and pack again for New York! We did get to visit where Alex went to school, many of his old friends and of course, the museums. The last time I was in NY was 7 years ago with my high school choir to sing at Carnegie Hall. I never had a chance to visit any of the museums, so Alex was a great sport and took me to see almost all of them! There was much excitement, squealing and jumping up and down that only a true art history major can appreciate. It really was just like Christmas.

After our busy and packed schedule in NY, we took the train up north to Connecticut. My sister Natalie and her lovely family live in Canton. The other reason for our trip was to visit them because I have actually never met Natalie's husband, John. They were married during my mission and 1.5 years later I still had not met him or her baby! I fell in love with the green hills, fresh air and chubby cheeks of my never-before-seen nephew, William. Oh, and John was cute, too. The days in CT were pleasant and relaxing - truly a real "vacation" from life for a while.

SOME THINGS TO CELEBRATE!:

My very last companion in Hong Kong, Sister Channing Hancock, came triumphantly home May 25th. Her homecoming also marks my 1 year anniversary of being home from my mission to China. The event and all of the excitement has caused me to reflect on how far I've come in the last year. Much of it has to do with the Hancock family. I find it fascinating and strange that one person you meet in a far distant land can so drastically alter your future paths. I feel so indebted and so grateful for all the blessings that have come to me since finishing my mission. It's almost overwhelming when I think about it. I really do have so many reasons to celebrate everyday.

3 comments:

Tallialli said...

I love your Shel Silverstein poem. Never read it before.
And that you fell in love with William's chubby cheeks. And - ahem - that you think John is also cute. :)

Tiffany said...

that was what your brother did when we had only been dating for 3 weeks. he bought plane tickets to visit my family over christmas break without telling me. and all i could think about was "i sure hope we are still dating in december."

j said...

That sounds like so much fun Nicole! What an exciting trip! It is fun to see you girls together in the pictures -- there is something about reuniting sisters, I know. And homemade bread and pasta.

And chubby cheeks, I might add. It is so funny to see such a cute baby boy, that just almost looks like mine but not quite. And your hikes and museums and everything else you did look so fun! What pretty pictures you took, and what a cool trip!!!